Tuesday, August 10, 2021

It's Okay To Not Be Okay

 


It has been a marvelous 8 weeks with these trio. How do I move on?

It's Okay to not be Okay is one of the best dramas of 2020. If there's anything redeeming about this crappy year, it's this series (and sige na nga, pati CLOY).

I've seen my share of KDramas that tackle mental illness but this by far, is the one I like the most. With mental illness being more recognized and veering away from being taboo, it gives viewers another picture on the lives of families struggling with these realities.

Some of the scenes are romanticized but the lines are eye opening and perhaps, even heart-wrenching. It was satisfying to see the characters grow into the better versions of themselves. They managed to face all the hurts and pains and learned how to heal. Comparing their characters in the finale vs the pilot, they surely have come such a long way. 

I loved how Sang Tae, the older brother "grew" up and realized that he's the hyung. The waterworks came when Sang Tae told his younger brother that Gang Tae belongs to Gang Tae and that he was not born to be the caregiver of his older brother. 

I liked that each episode revolves around a certain fairy tale. My favorite, by far, is the one from the pilot as it set the tone for the whole drama. It also has one of the most poignant lines, for me:

'Hurtful, painful memories. Memories of deep regrets. Memories of hurting others and being hurt. Memories of being abandoned. Only those with such memories buried in their hearts can become stronger, more passionate, and emotionally flexible. And only those can attain happiness.'

So don't forget any of it. Remember it all and overcome it. If you don't overcome it, you'll always be a kid whose soul never grows."

The pilot episode is whimsical which caught my attention. And the female lead, Seo Ye-Ji was so unlike any other. She carried being a bitch so well and her distinctive voice put her above other Korean actresses.  She has come a long way from the teeny-bopper love interest of GDragon in BigBang’s MV Let’s Not Fall In Love.

I’ve seen Kim Soo Hyun in previous dramas but this is his first post-military stint full length project (not counting his cameos in Hotel del Luna and CLOY). I knew that he’s a brilliant actor but he blew my mind again with his performance here.

Oh Jung Se is a revelation. I first saw him in Touch Your Heart but this one, is his best (next to Camellia where he won best supporting actor in the recent Baeksang awards). He made my heart ache with his thoughtful portrayal of a person with mental disabilities. And when he took time off his busy schedule to meet with a fan who has the same condition as his character, my tears started to flow. And he even came dressed as Sang Tae!

I love the story. I love the acting. I love the cinematography. I love this drama!

And that finale. It certainly wrapped everything up and allowed us to say goodbye to characters that we've invested 24 hours of our lives with. It was fulfilling to see the cameos return and their stories incorporated in KMY'S final book. I'm amazed how the writer managed to bring everything together in the end.

If I’m going to nitpick, I’m not satisfied with the explanation of Ko Moon Young’s mother. After scaring us for so many episodes, that's it? 

Also, though there were some nice songs in the OST, nothing that would stick in my mind.

I've said my share of goodbyes to awesome dramas in the past two years that I've been watching. But this one will stay with me for a long, long time.

Rating: Five Tissue Boxes!

Ps

Remember that sometimes, it really is okay not to be okay.

Watched: June 29 - Aug 9, 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment