Saturday, August 11, 2018

What's Wrong with Secretary Kim


I joined an online group comprising of mommy friends with a common love for Korean drama. It is there that I learned about this ongoing series starring Park Seo-joon and Park Min-young.

This is the first series that I've watched while the drama is being shown weekly. It started just this June and ended the next month (16 episodes total). I get to wait along with other viewers until the next episode which adds to the suspense especially when the ending of the previous one leaves you in tenterhooks.

The story was based on an ongoing webtoon about a narcissistic Vice Chairman of a family corporation and his very able and efficient secretary. It started off with his secretary wanting to resign after working for him for 9 years. Think Sandra Bullock and Hugh Grant's Two Week Notice but I liked this one better.


WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT

Park Seo-joon
PSJ was a revelation here. He already made several dramas before this but this was the first one of his that I've watched. I initially did not like him but he really grew on me. It made me search for his other works and immediately fell for his magical charm. (Amazing how these oppas can do that when I can barely understand what they're saying.)
PSJ is known for his rom-coms and after watching his other series, this one, for me, is the best. His chemistry with PMY is off the charts (too bad they're not dating in real life and the behind the scenes clips can attest to that. They would immediately move away from each other after shooting an intimate scene).
Because of this series, PSJ cemented himself in the top spot (which is currently being shared with Park Hyung-sik. Sorry, Gong Yoo, you just moved to number two) of my list of Oppas.
Another thing I can say about him, no drama of his is complete without any shower scene. He's known for his fantabulous body and he certainly lives up to the hype. No wonder my friends went crazy when the shower scene came up.

Park Min-young
Other than her itself, I love her character here. When I was younger, all I wanted was to become an executive assistant. I find accomplishment in anticipating the needs of my bosses and making them as comfortable as I can. Kim Mi-so is the perfect secretary and the best thing I admire about her is her ability to run in high heels!
PMY is also so pretty. Shiseido was spot on in getting her as an endorser.

Supporting Cast
The supporting cast were marvelous and added to the light-hearted moments. I like the love pairings on the side, especially that of Mr. Yang and Bong Se-ra. Other than the two leads, my favorite character is the best friend, Park Yoo-sik played by Kang Ki-young. Even if he looked and acted flaky and nutty, he aptly guided PSJ's character, Lee Young-joon, to navigate the murky waters of love. All his advices to Young-joon were learnings from his own failed relationship.

The Story
One thing about watching this weekly, almost each episode is a cliffhanger. I would rewatch the previous episodes while waiting for the new one to be shown. Fortunately, I subscribe to Viu Premium which lets me watch the newest episode in less than 12 hours after it comes out. Best investment of a Kdrama addict.
The series also quoted from a book (though I'm not sure if the book is really existing or not):

I want to be in the kind of relationship
where I feel like the tiredness of my day gets washed off
just by hugging you once
even if you don't make my heart
flutter every second.

This is one of the best light rom-com Kdramas that I've watched so far. This will become (together with Strong Woman Bong Soon) as one of my go-to series if I need a pick-me-upper. It made me feel warm and fuzzy afterwards.

Lessons
I was once in Secretary Kim's place before. Not really an EA but I understand how work can eat up your time leaving you less time for yourself. I used to work for a multinational company and going home on the dot was not the norm. She wanted to resign because she wanted to find herself. I resigned from my job then to have more time for myself and my family.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT

None! Other than suspending my disbelief during a few episodes (e.g. The President tolerating an inefficient secretary; an executive secretary affording an expensive bed when her apartment is a monthly rental), but everything just ended in a happy note.

RATING

Considering I didn't cry much but gave me the happy feels, I give this a rating of five tissue boxes!

Watched: June 25 - July 27 (I started late when episode 4 was already shown)

No comments:

Post a Comment