Friday, August 10, 2018

Moon Embracing the Sun


Ever since my sister and sister-in-law found out that I've been watching Korean dramas, they've been bugging me watch this. I finally gave in after watching Kim Soo-hyun at My Love from the Star.

Moon Embracing the Sun is the first Joseon-period drama that I've watched. The other series (Legend of the Blue Sea) had old Korean scenes in it but not the whole drama. This one had them wearing hanboks from the start up to the end.

This series was shown January - March 2012, definitely older than any that I've watched. It starred Kim Soo-hyun and Han Ga-in as the two leads with Jung Il-woo and Kim Min-seo as the second leads.

This historical drama, which has elements of fantasy, was adapted from a novel written by Jung Eun-gwol. It revolves around a king from the Joseon period and his attempts to be with his loved one and at the same time, fight his way through the political intrigues to solidify his hold on his throne.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT

Kim Soo-hyun
If I took notice of him at My Love from the Star, this series made me love him more. Even the actor who played his younger version, Yeo Jin-goo, was superb. Soo-hyun was only 24 when the drama was shot but he had shown acting maturity that can be the envy of actors his age. He also won the Best Actor award for this series in the 48th Baeksang Arts Awards (Korea's version of the Golden Globes) and the MBC Drama Awards.
I also love his character here. I love how he grew into such a strong person and to have enough guts and courage to fight for his convictions and for the woman he loves.
When he cries, he definitely gives his all. Here's a clip below posted by TV-People where Kim Soo-hyun's character finally learned the truth about his beloved and how much she suffered.



The Story
The final episode was so suspenseful that I cheered when a key person made a vital decision which turned the tide of the story. I cried so much over this drama and all the twists were properly unraveled and closed. I actually loved it when the contrabidas got their comeuppance and it was bloody like the way they deserved it. Hehehe.
This won Best Drama in the 2012 Baeksang Arts Awards and tons of other nominations and awards.
Definitely one of the best ones that I've watched.

The Oppas
In the past dramas, I'm just used to seeing one or two oppas during the series. This was the first time that I experienced multiple ones that I was smiling the whole time I was watching them.
The younger versions of their characters are not excluded from the list.

  • Yim Si-wan, who played the younger version of Heo Yeom (the brother of the female lead)
  • Lee Tae-ri, who played the younger version of Prince Yang Myung (the brother of the male lead and the second lead as well)
  • Song Jae-rim, who played the bodyguard of the king. I would swoon whenever he would do his swordfights and such. The moves are so graceful it looks as if he's dancing.

Jung Il-woo, Kim Soo-hyun and Song Jae-rim
Instant Korean History and Cultural Lesson
Watching the series gave me an idea on what Korean culture is all about. One thing's for sure, anything that involves a throne would lead to a lot of bloodshed and sacrifice. 
Other than that, I enjoyed seeing the intricate hanbok costumes and the elaborate headpieces (the thing that looks like a chopstick but with decorations at the end) the designs of which emphasizes their social rank. Makes me want to wear one when I eventually visit Korea.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT

I found it a tad bit too long. I really felt sorry for the character of Han Ga-in especially all the sufferings that she had to undergo. Moreover, the main characters did not appear until the 6th or 7th episode. But I can forgive them for this because of how everything was resolved in the end.

RATING

Highest rating should be five tissue boxes but this deserves 6 tissue boxes for the story and acting. It also made me appreciate Sageuk dramas more.

Watched: June 25-28, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment