Thursday, August 9, 2018

My Love from the Star


This series came out earlier compared to the previous three dramas--December 2013 to February 2014 to be exact. It again stars Jun Ji-hyun and Kim Soo-hyun as leads with Park Hae-jin and Yoo In-na as second leads.

I watched this next after Legend of the Blue Sea because I wanted to give Jun Ji-hyun another chance. And also, I was curious as a local adaptation of the series was recently shown here in the Philippines with Jennylyn Mercado playing Ji-hyun's role. In case you're curious, the first episode can be found below.


Like the previous drama, there were romantic fantasy elements in the story. The male lead, Do Min-joon (played by Soo-hyun), was an alien trapped on earth more than 400 years ago. He lived a solitary life with only one person whom he called as friend. With only 3 months left before he leaves, he meets the character of Ji-hyun, Cheon Song-yi, a top Hallyu star who became his next door neighbor. They got embroiled into each others lives and eventually falling for each other.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT

Kim Soo-hyun
To be honest, I didn't like him at first. He was so stoic and detached. There was no way I could empathize with the character which was so disheartening. But in the last few episodes, he was able to show emotion which managed to make me shed some of my frustrated tears.
And could this boy cry. When he cries, he really does give it his all. It was an unapologetic waterfall display of tears, snot and saliva. He's not your typical "beautiful" oppa but his acting is definitely stellar.

Joon Ji-hyun
Now this is one character that suited her to a T. She was able to play it well and being a top Hallyu star in her own right, she was able to portray this as realistically as possible (though I doubt she's as this kookie!). One thing's for sure, she was hilarious as Cheon Song-yi and she really pulled it off.

The Contrabida
Shin Sung-rok as Lee Jae-kyung
He was really scary. One of the best contrabidas I have seen in the world of K Drama. You will hate him as his evilness had no reproach. And one thing I appreciate about it is that there was a reason why he turned out that way. My pet peeve on TV or movie characters is if they are bad just because the script calls for them to be bad. I want them to be atrocious for a reason--whether its because of their childhood or for revenge or whatever--as long as there is a sense why.

WHAT I DID NOT LIKE ABOUT IT

The Ending
I really felt unsettled about how it ended. Actually, I myself had no idea how it should end. I've been wracking my brains on how the series should close (well, if I had it my way), but could not come up with anything satisfactory.
Kim Soo-hyun as Do Min-joon

Kim Soo-hyun's Hair
I swear, I wanted to cut this guy's hair. I don't know if the style was called for but I could barely restrain the urge to reach into the screen and pull his hair out of the way. Why are they covering their beautiful foreheads? Come to think of it, most of the dramas I've watched had the guys hair styled like this. Is it a cultural thing? Please help me understand as it is frustrating me to no end.

Shower Scene
I love shower scenes in K Dramas especially if it features one of my favorite oppas, Park Seo-joon. But the shower scene in this series made me double over in laughter. It was just so ludicrous! I mean, ok, he has an awesome torso but who takes a shower wearing a towel?  I don't mind if they did away with this scene but I think they just did this for fan service.

RATING
I give this three tissue boxes. The two leads were just awesome and the drama parts were well acted out. The ending though, was just not gratifying enough.

Watched: June 25-28, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment