Friday, September 14, 2018

I'm Not a Robot


When I started watching K-Dramas, the first few ones that I watched made me cry which me run through my tissue stash quickly--thus the basis of my rating system.

However, it has been a long time ever since I ugly-cried over a drama. The last one was Scarlet Heart (for obvious reasons). But the crying I did over this drama was so worth it. The story called for it and was truly justified.

I again went out of my chronological drama review to write this immediately as it was just so good. I need to write everything down while my memory and the feelings invoked are still fresh. I actually started watching this August 11 but was distracted with Healer.

This series, which is relatively new, aired last December 2017 to January 2018 and starred Yoo Seung-ho, Chae Soo-bin and Um Ki-joon. It introduced me to a new oppa which I'll definitely add to my list.

The story is about a girl, Jo Ji-a (Chae Soo-bin) who pretended to be a robot as a favor to her ex-boyfriend (Um Ki-joon) so she can meet the new investor of the robot project which happened to be Kim Min-kyu (Yoo Seung-ho). Min-kyu then fell in love with robot not knowing that she was human. That's the gist of it but I'll go through the story more later on in my review.

Considering how well made this drama was, I can't help but wonder why it had a low viewership rating in Korea when this was shown. Probably it went against other good dramas but this one is really well-written and the actors were superb!

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT

The OST

I put this on the top because I believe that having a good soundtrack will enhance the emotions of a viewer while watching a drama. Having the right song playing during a pivotal moment will invoke the appropriate reaction whether that would involve lots of tears or the opposite.

During my ugly-cry in one poignant scene, Words of my Heart by Kim Yeon-ji was playing in the background. Whoever sound-edited this drama deserves an award! Refer to the video below as Exhibit 1.

The instrumental version of the song was playing throughout the confession but when Kim Min-kyu started to take off his necklace at 1:20, the vocals was edited in and the crying spree begins! Knowing the meaning behind that action added to the drama.



Here's the whole version of the song:



The rest of the songs featured in the drama were also excellent but the one above is the best ear-worm of all.

The Script

Very well written! Refer again to Exhibit 1. The lines were well-delivered, significant and said at the right note.

What Aji3 said before she was rebooted, I swear, that was when I really sobbed as if my own heart was also breaking.

"Every single moment I spent with you made me happy."

It may feel like a simple line but it was said at the appropriate time which made me forget about it. The point that it made Min-kyu sob like crazy (and me as well), drove home the point how meaningful it was. Nevertheless, the scriptwriters, Kim Sun-mi and Lee Seok-joon really wrote heartbreak beautifully.

Another scene was when Jo Ji-a wanted to ask for forgiveness. Min-kyu dropped some painful, albeit, truthful lines which really stabbed to the core. I could understand the girl's reaction when she just stood there and took it in.



One concept that I liked in the story is the human allergy of Min-kyu. It started after his parents died and he was betrayed by the person who he thought was his friend. The pain of the deception manifested itself through allergic reactions that it became impossible for him to have human contact. It's interesting that the series started with Min-kyu not being able to enter the military because of his ailment and it ended with him being discharged after rendering mandatory service as he was able to overcome his allergies. It's like tying a big red bow over a package. So satisfying and pretty.

The character development in the script was also rich that you could see how the characters changed throughout the series and how well the actors portrayed those changes, especially the Santa Maria team--and Min-kyu, of course.

That Kiss!

Refer to Exhibit 2 below. 'Nuff said.



Yoo Seung-ho

Because of Exhibit 2, and of course his stupendous acting, I'm now a fan of this Oppa. He acts with a passion and I love his baritone voice. I was surprised that it was that low. I'm now lining up his other dramas and movies.

And after watching dramas with lead actors kissing their leading ladies, the kiss that Seung-ho gave Soo-bin in Exhibit 2 is one of the best. It was ardent and romantic at the same time. Though I have yet to watch his other dramas but he surely has good chemistry with his partners.

Here's his "come at me" look which made me all kilig.


The Chemistry

Ok, I'm really shipping them as a couple. Check out the BTS of their kiss below. The shy smiles after the kiss and hesitant glances and touches...eeeeeeeehhhh! Wonder if they have another drama or movie together. I'll definitely watch that.




WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT

Kang Ki-young's character

https://www.kpopmap.com/kdramas-lovers-cannot-miss-the-king-of-facial-expressions-actor-kang-kiyoung/
Kang Ki-young
Source: Kpopmap
I love Kang Ki-young as he's almost in every good drama that I've watched. However, I realized that he doesn't play "meek" well. He kept on throwing stuff which supposedly showed his "anger". Though usually plays supporting roles, he's always good but this one is an exception. His character was just too one-dimensional. I didn't see depth or any development. It's somehow disappointing as he's the bestfriend and supposed to be the one who caused the "allergy" of Min-kyu. As such, his role should be more climatic.


RATING

I give this five tissue boxes! I still can't determine why it did not rate well in Korea. It's really well made and the story took me by surprise. I really thought it's a sci-fi drama as I didn't read any reviews beforehand and had no expectations whatsoever. It's great to discover a new oppa and the soundtrack in this series was just outstanding. Really great watch!

Watched: September 9 - 14, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment