Sunday, August 8, 2021

Drinking Solo


If Ha Seok Jin was not my number one oppa, I would've dropped this drama halfway. I was so annoyed with his character and it really dragged on. I do understand that he's "high class trash" but it was too much. The plot was also predictable and a bit cliche-ish.

The underlying theme of the drama shows why people drink solo. I like that little introduction at the start of the episode and how they end an episode with more drinking. It made me want to drink as well.

Ha Seok Jin plays Jin Jung-Suk, a first-class instructor at a Civil Service Exam review school and one who likes to drink alcohol by himself and with a ceremony to boot. While Park Ha-Sun plays Park Ha-Na, also another instructor but with less stellar credentials compared to Teacher Jin. The story revolves around their relationship as well as that with the other teachers and students. 

The supporting cast were entertaining to watch. Kim Won-hae as the CEO of the academy was hilarious as usual and my favorite would be Key of Shinee. I have low expectations for idols who transition to drama but his portrayal as one of the friends of Teacher Ha-na's student was just amusing. I won't easily forget his "tiriri" catchphrase. 

The cameos were also something to watch out for. Having Key's Shinee co-member Minho appear as an old classmate was just so funny! I was surprised that it was early on in the series but it was enough for me. There were other guests towards the end like 2AM's Jo Kwon and Ha Seok Jin's BFF, Kim Ji-Suk. 

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT

The cameos

Not only actors guested in this drama but some scenes from other dramas as well. There was one professor who spoofed drama/movie characters and used them in his lectures. I laughed when he parodied Park Bo Gum's prince character in Love in the Moonlight even showing a scene on his phone. 

Character Development

Am not sure if there was even one. Let's just say I liked it when Ha Seok Jin's character showed his non-asshole side. I relished seeing him display a different emotion when he and his brother fought outside his house, and of course, when he cried after breaking up with Teacher Ha-na. He's so effective because I cried with him as well.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT

Predictable Plot

I actually was able to predict most of what happened. When Prof. Jun-suk learned that his brother liked Prof. Ha-na, he broke up with her for his brother's happiness. My eyes couldn't stop rolling up to the back of my head. There were several scenes of him afterwards crying and drinking by himself while thinking of the woman he loves. I couldn't stop laughing at that one.  

Ha Seok Jin's Character

I felt that his character was poorly written. He was crass half of the drama and for him to suddenly do a 180 just because he fell in love was a major suspension of disbelief. Also, the reason for his boorish behavior felt rather shallow. It could be possible but I was not satisfied with the explanation.

RATING

Giving this three and a half tissue boxes because of Ha Seok-jin and Key. Also, there's this song that I like. 

Would I recommend? Depends. It's one of the last dramas that I would recommend for Ha Seok-jin fans but seeing Key here would be a treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment