Sunday, September 9, 2018

Love in Trouble (Suspicious Partner)


After watching Healer, I'm now a fan of Ji Chang-wook and his cuteness. This one is his most recent drama before he entered the military for mandatory enlistment. It aired from May to July 2017. I initially panicked when I saw that it had 40 episodes but fortunately, only 30 minutes each (so technically, 20 regular episodes).

Noh Ji-wook (Ji Chang-wook) played a prosecutor who had the (mis)fortune to cross paths with lawyer, Eun Bong-hee (Nam Ji-hyun). He was then forced to make a choice that greatly impacted his life and career.

Personally, I like his pairing with Min-young more than Ji-hyun.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT

Legal Learnings

Though I've watched Suits, this series gave me a better insight on how the justice system of Korea works. I found it interesting that the Prosecutors were left with the task to prove the guilt of the defendant. Moreover, their roles were clearly differentiated even in the court room, wherein the prosecutors also wear robes, although with more color compared to the judge.

The Lip Bite

This one I really noticed more. JCW bit his lip. A lot.



The Supporting Cast

The lawyers in JCW's firm were so funny especially Mr. Byun and Mr. Bang. I found it especially entertaining when their meetings usually ended up with nothing vital being discussed much to Ji-wook's frustration as Mr. Byun would go on with his rants.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT

Everything

I finished this for the love of JCW. I don't know if it was because of the number of episodes or I was just biased for PMY but it took me 7 days to finish this series. That's already too much as I'm usually done in 3-4 days.

Come to think of it, I really don't know why I struggled so much to complete the drama. Though it did give me time to catch up with my blog.

Story-wise, maybe because I felt that it was stretched too much. Eun Bong-hee was falsely accused of a crime that she did not commit and Noh Ji-wook withdrew the case when the evidence that were found was tampered with. The whole series centered on Bong-hee finding the real culprit and clearing her name. Granted that there were suspenseful moments, I was still not crazy over it nor could give an objective or more lengthy review.

The second leads did a good job though. It did not take long for me to pick-up why Ji-wook despised Ji Eun-hyuk (Choi Tae-joon) so much. Apparently, Eun-hyuk stole Ji-wook's girlfriend, Cha Yoo-jung (Kwon Nara) from the former. However, I don't know if there was something lost in translation but such was not the case--or if it did happen, they wanted to seek forgiveness? I got confused for awhile. But they do they have good chemistry, not enough to save the drama for me.

RATING

I give this one tissue box. If you're going to watch it, watch it because of JCW.

Watched: August 15-22, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment