Friday, August 27, 2021

D.P.

 

Image from Soompi

This drama just proved that Jung Hae-in is more effective in action/comedies rather than romcoms. Out of his 3 other romance dramas, I only managed to forcefully finish one. Maybe the nearest thing that I liked was his movie with Kim Go-eun Tune in for Love, but that wasn't even happy-happy. It had a sad vibe to it but it's better than Something in the Rain or One Spring Night. 

However, I loved him in While You Were Sleeping and Prison Playbook. It's probably coincidence or maybe it's fate that in both series, he played a figure in authority--a policeman and soldier respectively. 

D.P. stands for Deserter Pursuit which is a team that chases after military deserters--or soldiers who abandons their military posts without permission. Their military code considers this a major offense and can be punishable by incarceration. 

The drama shows the stories of these soldiers who chose to be deserters and the reasons for their decision. The story is so gripping and gritty and based on what I read, is true-to-life. It pains me to know that these might be the same scenarios that my idols and oppas are going through during their enlistment. Am not saying that they all have the same experience but it can happen--even here in our country. That's why even if it's banned, we would still hear stories of hazing and even death due to this barbarous activity.

Am grateful for Koo Kyo-hwan's character which gave the show a bit of comedy as a respite from all the doom and gloom. 

One of the episodes that I liked was the one which involved a soldier's halmeonni--the reason why he deserted. I found myself shedding tears when he was eventually captured and he requested that he say goodbye to his grandmother who was sick with Alzheimer's. He bowed to her even when she could not recognize him.  

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT

Jung Hae In

He was the main reason why I watched this drama. I was initially enthralled by him at While You Were Sleeping (the abs helped) and then continued on with Prison Playbook. I even went out of my way to see him during his fanmeet here in Manila and even had the opportunity for high-touch. Unfortunately, I had no pictures except for the blurry ones during the actual FM. Unlike the other FM's, I only got balcony tickets for this one much to my chagrin. I wish I splurged for a VIP ticket so I could see him up close. After not liking his previous works, I'm hoping that this would be some sort of redemption and I was proven right. He really excels in action or maybe he has not found the right romcom for him yet. I'm missing his nakakakilig na smiles!

I also read that he and Jun-young trained in boxing before they shot the drama. It certainly helped as their fight scenes were beautiful to watch. Their moves were so graceful--not in a gentle sort of way--but you can see the training.

The Mini-Stories

Each episode has a story of a deserter. I was surprised with some of the cameos (I forgot they were in the cast!) especially that of Go Kyung Pyo and Lee Jun Young. I was taken aback by their characters as they were opposite from their usual portrayals. They're still very much pogi even if they were all beaten up and bruised--especially Jun (I should binge-watch his either dramas. Got interested in him after Imitation). 

The Lessons

One of the lessons learned here is violence breeds violence. Like the story of Cho Suk-bong, he was beaten up because his seniors were beaten up by their seniors. It's a never-ending vicious cycle which can never be stopped.

In the last episode, the recurring theme was, "Why didn't you do anything?" They knew that their comrade was being beaten but whey did they not do anything? The sister of one of the deserters also echoed this--even one of the mothers. It's a rude awakening for all of us. We witness all of these injustices but are we doing anything about it? Why do we turn a blind eye?

WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT

The Violence

I know it's part of the story but I still cringed during the beatings. The first few minutes were stressful to watch and I had to close my eyes so many times. The justification for the brutality still escapes me sometimes. They claim that they do this to toughen their men up but it's difficult or me to accept their reality. My heart would break if I knew my own son would go through such hell. 

RATING:

Thank goodness that all 6 episodes were dropped by Netflix all on the same day. That's why I love Netflix produced dramas as I don't have to wait every week for new episodes. Giving this FIVE tissue boxes and highly recommending this!

Watched: August 27-28, 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment