Monday, August 27, 2018

Suits


This drama is a South Korean adaptation of a US television series with the same name by Aaron Korsh.

This series starred Jang Dong-gun and Park Hyung-sik. The former is the reason why I watched this as I was enamored by him after seeing him in Strong Woman Bong Soon.  It ran just this year from April to June 2018.

The story revolves around a distinguished lawyer, who after getting tired of all the graduates from the known universities, decided to hire a young inexperienced man who has no law degree but has a retentive memory. The plot line somehow follows that from the US TV series with a few local adjustments.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT

Park Hyung-sik

He was just awesome here. Though there's something might be lost in translation, but I'm at awe on how he was able to memorize complicated law jargon and was able to deliver them with ease. I have often admired people with amazing memories because mine sucks. I remember failing my law subjects because I can't memorize the texts and flubbed the recitations. A direct contrast of my former fangirling life where I can quote the the episodes where my beloved love team appeared and what they were wearing in that specific episode.

I loved PHS's haircut here and his over-all look. Sharing a few screen-caps that I took with my iPad while watching the series.




The Bromance

I especially liked the interaction between PHS's character, Go Yeon-woo and Jang Dong-gun's, Choi Kang-seok. The latter never considered Mike Ross, errr..Yeon-woo as his weakness, even though he should be.


I particularly liked this scene where they eventually did a fist bump--which Yeon-woo has been wanting to do for the longest time.

The OST

Probably the only drama I've watched so far, with an English language song that I like.


WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT

Suspension of Disbelief

This was difficult to do considering the numbers of times that I should do it. I know that in watching movies or tv series, this is a given but some of the scenes were just too much.

One is that Yeon-woo was able to freely see the payslip of one of his colleagues. In my experience, a payslip is very confidential. We were always cautioned by our Human Resources to never show it to anyone (except when applying for loans). So to be able to just request to see it seems odd. But then, maybe they have a different culture in Korea that it's a norm.

Another is anyone not catching on that Yeon-woo is not a law graduate. It is HR's policy to do a background check and request for documentation as proof of one's degree. Though there were some that caught on but considering the amount of time that he has been working with the firm, it should've been caught early on.

The Comparison

I haven't watched that much episodes of the US version so there should be not much to compare on. But I can't help but compare Choi Kang-seok with Harvey Specter and I prefer the character portrayal of Gabriel Macht. He's smoother and more dashing. But then, maybe there's just something that's lost in translation

The Lack of Chemistry

I'm disappointed in the supporting female lead that served as the love interest of Yeon-woo. They lack chemistry and I told my friends that the PHS' kiss is wasted on her. Still shipping PHS with PBY.

RATING

Nevertheless, I'm hoping for a Season 2 to see where else they can bring this drama. Pordalab of Park Hyung-sik, I'm giving this a 2 tissue box rating.

Watched: July 29 - August 2, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment