Friday, August 17, 2018

Love in the Moonlight


Starring Park Bo-gum and Kim Yoo-jung with second leads, Jinyoung, Chae Soo-bin and Kwak Dong-yeon. The drama aired on August 2016 and ran until October that same year. The network, KBS, even made a teaser video with Park Bo-gum dressed in his hanbok dancing to Boombastic.



This is the second Joseon period drama I've watched and though how much of an eye-candy PBG was and regardless of the good reviews and ratings, I almost did not finish it.

Pic from from starmometer.com
Kim Yoo-jung plays Hong Ra-on, a young girl disguised as a boy and renders love and dating advice to men. It was later on that she accidentally met the character of Park Bo-gum, Crown Prince Yi Yeong who took interest in her and later on became his eunuch much to the consternation of the people around him.

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT IT

Park Bo-gum
Friends have been raving about him and I finally figured out why. His eyes are just beautiful and you can just stare into them all day long without realizing that you have already fallen into the dark entrancing depths.
Though he can be considered a pretty boy, his jaw makes his face more masculine. Of course, him dancing adds to his charm. I found myself giggling while he jived to Boombastic.
It was because of this series that PBG won Best Actor in the KBS Drama Awards.

The OST
I love my oppas. So far, all of them can sing. Bo-gummy sang one of the songs included in the drama. This is My Person/My Dearest.



I'm sore that the OST is not in Spotify and I had to download Soundcloud just to listen to most of the songs in the series.
The other song that I love is Moonlight Drawn by Clouds sung by Gummy. She sang my other favorite OST from Descendants of the Sun.


WHAT I DON'T LIKE ABOUT IT

I felt my interest wane 3/4 along the way. I took to reading episode recaps just to find out what's going to happen. Maybe that's why I didn't feel the poignant scenes too much as I already knew how it would turn out.

Also, I felt the ending has not much resolution. I felt cheated when the contrabida died that way. After all the chaos that he caused, he deserved to die a painful and bloody death. And whatever happened to the two leads? Though there was some sort of resolution, after all that they've been through, I felt it was not enough.

Moon Embracing the Sun is still the best period drama for me.

RATING
I give this a rating of two tissue boxes. Bo Gummy and the OST saved this for me.
Edit: 8/4/21 upgrading the rating to 3 tissue boxes

Watched: July 13-16, 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment